Tuesday 17 January 2012

The Best Laid Plans

Over the summer I had a dig through the mound of 15mm metal figures that are hidden away in the wardrobe and discovered a number of packets of  Spanish guerrillas from various manufacturers including Falcon, Minifigs and Essex. I only vaguely remember buying them but there was enough for a couple of 'regiments' of about twenty figures each using the ratio of one figure equals twenty men.

I have to confess, I love doing the research for my chosen periods, but I am not a huge fan of painting. Part of the problem is, I think, that I take on too many at a time. So, for example, I tried to paint three batallions of Brunswick light infantry in one go. After all how difficult can it be? They all wear black!

I would start and then other things would come up, such as making a living, so they would go back in the cupboard for a while. Eventually I have completed the Brunswick forces present during the Waterloo campaign but it has taken me years! I needed to think of another way of doing it.

So, having dug out all these packets, I decided that rather than trying to paint them all at once I would only paint eight at a time. Only when I had finished those eight would I paint any more. I made great progress and quickly finished the first eight. Another eight were soon to follow. By the end of the summer I had painted twenty four figures and only had a few more to do.

In my enthusiasm at the speed of my painting I thought I would embark on a new project. I have long enjoyed reading Bernard Cornwell's "Sharpe" Series and in particular the prequels set in India, and I have always had a secret yearning for an Indian and HEIC army. Inspired by the wonderful pictures on the Golconda Rising blog, I decided I would purchase a 'few' sample figures.

The end of summer came and I now have a number of part painted Spanish guerrillas sitting forlornly in the the cupboard along with a mixture of unpainted Arabs, Indians Irregulars and Sepoys.

Oh well, the best laid plans and all that!

No comments:

Post a Comment